Alan Belkin's Artistic Orchestration ::
Artistic Orchestration is a wonderful introduction to this fascinating topic.
Click here to download this guide in pdf format. It can be saved to your disk for offline browsing.
The index below gives a flavour of the book.
Table of contents
Basic Notions, Part 1
- Introduction: Why This Book?
- Preliminary Considerations
Basic Notions, Part 2
- Orchestration and Form
- Changes of sound
- Degree of Continuity/Contrast
- Interpreting the Phrasing
- Orchestration and Dynamics
- Sustained vs. Dry Sound
- Fat vs. Thin Sound; Unison Doubling
- Balance: Simultaneous and Successive
Summary: What is good orchestration?
Appendix: Some Pedagogical Ideas
- Musical Lines vs. Instrumental Parts
- Planes of Tone
- Contrapuntal Orchestration
- The Tutti
Conclusion and Acknowledgements
Appendix Glossary 1
- Examples from a Character Glossary
- Outline Sketches as a Teaching Tool
- Learning Orchestration from the Repertoire
- Orchestral Simulation
This material is © Alan Belkin, 2001. Legal proof of copyright exists.
The material may be used free of charge provided that the author's name is included.
:: next lesson